You will need
One of the following forms of photo ID to match your payment details:
• A valid photo card driver’s licence
• A valid passport AND one of the following proof of address no older than three months:
- A statement from your bank or building society
- A statement from your debit or credit card statement
- A Council Tax demand letter or statement
- A utility bill (this does NOT include mobile phone bills)
In addition to identification you will need a bank account to be paid via cheque or VISA debit card.
Remember folks, these requirements are statutory law, so there will be no exceptions! No ID, no payment!
How you get paid
1. Report to the office with your identification and payment details.
2. We’ll then check your ID and ask how you would like to be paid.
3. Once your ID has been verified your metal will be weighed on our fully calibrated scales and weighbridges.
4. We will produce you a PRN receipt showing your materials, weights, price per unit and value.
5. Payment will then be made by Visa debit card, cheque or BACS for business transfers:
• If you wish to be paid by VISA debit card, you will receive your transaction receipt and your payment will be in your bank account within 3 working days.
• If you wish to be paid by cheque, we will produce you one and the funds should be in your account within 3 working days.
Why can’t I be paid in cash?
The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 has now made it illegal for scrap metal dealers, like Henry Orchard & Sons, to buy scrap for cash. You can now be paid for your scrap metal by Visa debit card, BACS for business transfers or cheque instead.
Is there a charge for cashless payments?
No, there is no charge. There is however a minimum payment of £10.
Why do you need to see identification?
We are required by law to keep various records about our customers and transactions. The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishing of Offenders Act 2012 requires that the buyer of scrap metal identifies the seller. Alongside the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 this means we will need proof of identification at point of sale.
How long do you keep my records for?
Any information we do retain from your transaction will be treated in line with the Data Protection Act. We keep the records for a minimum of three years.
Can I take a payment on behalf of someone else?
Unfortunately no. This payment type can ONLY be made to the person who arrives on site and not on behalf of a third party.
Can I get paid for metal worth less than £10?
Due to the cost implications of this legislation we can no longer offer payment for any metal worth less than this amount.
Is there a way to get paid more quickly?
We have no control over the length of time the money takes to clear through the banks’ systems. Standard clearance is 2-3 days for business transfers of money via BACS, debit cards and cheques. This is the quickest time frame within which you should receive payment.
Will I still get the best price for my scrap metal?
Of course! You will still be offered the same prices for your scrap metal.
Any other questions? Give us a ring, we’re more than happy to help! Contact us on 01726 850507
Please contact us on 01726 850507 to discuss your requirements.
Henry Orchard and Sons is commited to meeting environmental standards within the metal reclamation industry, and this commitment drives every area of our business. The company continues to advance methods in which scrap metal and other waste products can be re-used and recycled. This minimises waste products going to landfill and lessens the impact on the environment.